What Is the Housing Plus Educational Grant Program?
The Housing Plus Education Grant Program provides financial assistance for Housing Plus tenants or household members who are enrolling, or continuing, in education.
Grants are valued up to $1,500 for the academic year and are available to:
- Primary and High school children
- Adults engaging in vocational education and training (VET); and
- Adults attending university
Grants for school students may include a home or laptop computer, Microsoft Office software package and associated equipment. The grant may also be used to purchase private tuition or coaching; textbooks, workbooks, study guides and stationery; specialist equipment (e.g., art, music or photographic-related); course costs (including materials), excursions, study camps, sport, or special education. Click here for a list of items that can and can’t be claimed.
Housing Plus Educational Grants are non-cash, instead you are reimbursed for education or study related expenses, or a supplier can be paid directly.
Please note: We are not able to provide grants for the payment of HECS fees or debt
Who Can Apply for Grant?
Applicants must be:
- Living in a Housing Plus property or living in crisis accommodation
- An Australian citizen or permanent resident
- Not earning an income higher than the NSW social housing eligibility limits (if earning an income).
- Currently studying, or enrolled to study, in formal education.
- Able to demonstrate a commitment to achieving your goal.
A student that has been previously awarded a Housing Plus Educational Grant cannot apply for a second time.
How Is My Application Assessed?
Applications will be assessed based on the following:
- Applicant must meet eligibility requirements;
- Applicant has demonstrated need for support (based on income assessment);
- Applicant has demonstrated a commitment to further education (Enrolment confirmation and support letters)
Housing Plus Educational Grant applications are assessed by a senior employee. Applications are assessed within 21 days of application round closing and applicants will be notified in writing about the outcome of their application.
How to apply
Applications for the Housing Plus Education Grant are now open. Round 3 closes Thursday 14 December, 2023.
- Apply online. Click here to access the online application
- Collect an application form from your local Housing Plus office – once complete the form can be emailed, posted to Housing Plus or dropped into your local office.